Welcome to the Well-Stocked Garage! In this series, we take a look at how to organize and fill your workshop so you’re ready for any DIY job at a moment’s notice.
Today’s topic: Those little cleaning jobs everyone forgets to do. All you need is a good all-purpose cleaner and a couple of minutes to make a major difference in your work space. Your future self will thank you when you start your next project. Here are 6 things you can clean in one rainy afternoon:
- Workbenches: Wipe down workbenches, toolboxes, and any other surfaces in your garage to remove grease, grime, and dirt.
- Tools: It’s good to give your hand tools a cleaning every so often. Wipe them down with an all-purpose degreaser to remove any built-up grime and oil.
- Garbage Cans: Clean and deodorize your garbage cans and recycling bins.
- Shelves and Storage Units: Wipe down shelving units, storage bins, and any other storage solutions you have in the garage. The next time you pull out your holiday decorations from the back of the shelf, you won’t be pulling a lot of dirt out with them!
- Outdoor Furniture: If you store outdoor furniture in your garage, wipe down and freshen up the furniture before either putting it away for the winter or breaking it out for the summer.
- Bicycles and Sporting Equipment: Clean and remove dirt from your bicycles, sports equipment, and other outdoor gear. Good for maintenance, bad for the spiders building a web in your spokes.
Remember to always follow the instructions on the label and take any necessary safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and adequate ventilation.