Taking your pet with you on a road trip can be the best of times, or it can be the worst of times. Here are some tips for making your pet’s trip as smooth as possible:
- Make sure all your passengers are up to date on their vaccinations and have current ID. (And not just the four-legged ones.)
- Bring along a crate or pet carrier for your pet to ride in. This will provide a safe and comfortable space for their peace of mind, and will also help keep them from getting underfoot while you’re driving. Some animals feel more comfortable when they can’t see unfamiliar landscape whizzing by out the window, so you might want to have a light blanket handy that you can lay over the top of the carrier to block the view and replicate a nice, dark den.
- Plan your route ahead of time and make sure there are pet-friendly hotels and rest stops along the way. Even if you don’t intend to say in a hotel, it’s good to know where they are.
- Everyone loves road snacks! Bring plenty of food, water, and any necessary medications for your pet. Don’t forget to bring bowls, too.
- Take regular breaks to let your pet stretch their legs, go to the bathroom, and have some water. This will help keep them happy and comfortable during the trip. (NOTE: Works on humans also.)
- On these little breaks, keep your pet on a leash. Make sure to clean up after them when they go to the bathroom. Stash a few extra waste bags in your glove compartment so you don’t have to worry about running out.
- If your pet decides to use the inside of your car as a bathroom…well, it happens. But we’ve got you covered. Keep our Deluxe Pet Interior Cleanup Kit on hand – it’s got the power to fight stains and odors so you can hit the road again in no time!